Extraordinary care: meeting individual needs at end-of-life
Honoring one patient’s decision to withdraw support and become a donor and another hospital’s strategy for creating an atmosphere of compassion and trust.
- Danielle Bode, BAEP, ASN, RN & Christen Miller, RN, BSN, Hennepin County Medical Center, Patient-centered care and donation
- Noreen Tamerius, RN, Data Research Nurse, Critical Care Service,
Sanford Health Fargo, Creating an atmosphere of care
A flag of purpose: inspirational ways to honor donors
Successful hospital protocols for flying the Donate Life Flag and one family’s personal experience.
- Leslie Becker, RN, BSN, Director Trauma and Critical Care, North Memorial Medical Center, A way to honor donors and raise community awareness
- Scott Curfman, Master of Divinity, Board Certified Chaplain, Chaplain Manager, Essentia Health Fargo, Developing a Donate Life Flag policy
The art and science of organ donor management
Excellent ICU care and donor management goals in standard and complex organ donation scenarios.
- Darren Malinoski, MD, Director Surgical Critical Care, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, National perspective of donor management goals
- Kate Chapman, Advanced Practice Donation Coordinator, LifeSource, Maximizing every donor’s gift
- Julie Sandstrom, RN, BSN, CCRN-CSC, Clinical Care Supervisor in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, Sanford Health Fargo, Complex donor scenario
Your phone call to a new life
Critical elements of the tissue donation process from referral call through the funeral; healthcare professionals play a vital role in fulfilling the gift.
- Matt Kurtzbein, Communication Specialist, LifeSource,
Referral, eligibility and authorization
- Julia Grovum, Tissue Recovery Coordinator, LifeSource,
The tissue recovery process from start to finish
- Robert M. Arnold, Funeral Director, Ranfranz and Vine Funeral Home, Transfer of care from the hospital to the funeral home
Cultivating communities of donation
The healthcare professional’s responsibility for propelling communities into action through the use of media, the internet and local Chamber of Commerce.
- Shaye Krcil, RN, MSN, Trauma Services Coordinator & Lois Ames, RN, MS, Administrative Director of Patient Services, Rapid City Regional Hospital, Donate Life Black Hills campaign
- Bob Sauser, RN, BSN, ICU Manager, St. Joseph’s Area Health Service, Park Rapids, MN, Partners in action
- Barb Scheiber, RN, BSN, NE-BC, Director Patient Care Support, St. Cloud Hospital, Cultivating communities of donation
Life-saving conversations: strategies for successful donation discussions
Compelling results from one physician’s practice, and the power of consistent messaging, huddles and timing.
- Larry Burris, DO, Neurocritical Care, Sanford Health Sioux Falls,
Using a strategy for family conversations
- Mary Mahoney, Family Support Coordinator, LifeSource,
The miracle of tissue transplantation
One surgeon’s experience in life-giving musculoskeletal tissue transplantation, case studies on transplant procedure and patient outcomes.
- Edward Y. Cheng, MD, Mairs Family Professor & Orthopaedic Surgical Oncologist, University of Minnesota, Limb salvage surgery
- Jill Halimi, Donor Family Advocate, LifeSource,
Connecting donor families & transplant recipients
Speak up! DCD communications can’t be overdone
Careful preparation and communication enhances the donation after cardiac death (DCD) process for hospital staff, families and transplant recipients.